Flight Instructor Refresher Course
Join us for Professional Development of your aviation instructional techniques along with this exciting opportunity to renew your Aeroplane or Helicopter Flight Instructor Rating.
We are Canada’s only Flight Instructor Refresher Course provider that offers both Aeroplane and Helicopter courses. Our course manager has over 25 years experience conducting refresher courses, including overseeing the National Flight Instructor Refresher Course Program for Transport Canada.
These Transport Canada approved three day courses offer engaging and stimulating activities such as presentations, videos, group exercises, workshops, open discussions, role-playing, assignments and quizzes. Day 1 and Day 2 are in class from 08:30 to 17:00 and Day 3 is from 08:30 to 12:00.
Keep up-to-date with GPS training by attending our supplemental course, Garmin GNS 430 for Flight Instructors, from 13:00 to 17:00 on the afternoon of Day 3.
Enhance your competencies as an aviation instructor as you actively participate in the professional development of your aeronautical knowledge, skills and attitudes during learner-centred instruction.
Upon completion of one of these innovative and engaging training courses you will be more competent, confident, effective and safer as a pilot and as an instructor.
Full course details and registration will be available three months prior to the scheduled course date.
Seating for these courses is limited so pre-registration and payment is required to reserve your position on the course. Click here to Register. Please be prepared with your pilot licence number, class of flight instructor rating, and your valid-to-date. You may pay for your course in advance by mailing a cheque today to NavPath Aviation Ltd or you may securely pay on-line with PayPal. You may also pay at the door by cash or by cheque payable to NavPath Aviation Ltd.
Receive a $50 Early Registration Discount when you register at least two weeks prior to the course!
Click here to Register and securely pay on-line using PayPal
All courses subject to applicable taxes.
Scheduled Courses - Flight Instructor Refresher Course
|2013-04-16||Aeroplane||Langley, British Columbia||Kwantlen Polytechnic University||$500|
|2013-11-05||Aeroplane||Langley, British Columbia||Kwantlen Polytechnic University||$500|
|2013-11-05||Helicopter||Langley, British Columbia||Kwantlen Polytechnic University||$500|
Click here to download a poster suitable for display: FIRC 2013-04-16 Poster
Who should attend?
Course participants will normally hold a valid Flight Instructor Rating. Those who desire renewal of their flight instructor rating must have a valid flight instructor rating on the first day of the course. Please check Canadian Aviation Regulation section 421.66 to determine your personal requirements for renewal.
Successful completion of the course requires your attendance at all of the scheduled training sessions and your active participation in the learning activities. Upon successful completion of this course you will be issued a Course Completion Certificate which may be used for renewal of your flight instructor rating with Transport Canada for the full term as if you had taken a flight test. If you would rather renew your flight instructor rating by means of a flight test in an aeroplane, NavPath Aviation will make the arrangements with our Pilot Examiner to conduct your flight test. The course is also ideal for flight instructors who are planning to upgrade to a Class 2 or Class 1 Flight Instructor Rating. We will help to prepare you for the additional privileges, duties and responsibilities of the higher class of flight instructor rating.
Additionally, the course is also suitable for those planning on obtaining an initial Class 4 Flight Instructor Rating and meet the requirements of Canadian Aviation Regulation section 421.69 for aeroplanes and section 421.77 for helicopters. Your attendance at this course will benefit you as a pilot and will lay the foundation for your future career as an instructor. If you hold a commercial pilot licence and are training for your flight instructor rating, attendance at this course will count as part of your Transport Canada required ground school. Be sure to bring along your Pilot Training Record and we will make the appropriate entries.
Other aviation instructors seeking Professional Development may also attend the course, such as flight instructors who do not require renewal of their instructor rating, instrument rating instructors, multi-engine class rating instructors, seaplane class rating instructors, simulator instructors, aircraft type rating instructors, ground instructors or aerobatic instructors. Other aviation instructors will find great value in attending one of these courses as well, such as instructors who normally teach in gliders, balloons, gyroplanes or ultra-light aeroplanes. Pilot Examiners are encouraged to make application to attend Flight Instructor Refresher Courses to keep abreast of new developments in pilot training.
All courses will include the following topics:
- Teaching Knowledge Requirements – Written Examination Results – Weak Knowledge Areas
- Teaching Flight Exercises – Flight Test Results – Weak Skill Areas
Most Courses will also include the following topics:
- The Principles of Learning and the Techniques of Instruction – Flight Instructor Guide
- Managing Training – Supervision – Operational Control – Safety Management – Training Records
- Scenario-based Training – Developing Lesson Plans – Effective Use of Teaching Aids
- Human Factors – Threat and Error Management – Pilot Decision-making
- Preparing Students for Flight Tests – Flight Test Guides
Courses may also include a sampling from these and other topics:
- Teaching Initial Class 4 Flight Instructor Rating
- Teaching Multi-Engine Rating and Instrument Rating
- Information Technology in Training
- Communication Skills
- Teaching Aviation Weather - Meteorologist
- Presentation Skills Workshop – Role Playing
- Medical Factors – CAME
- Air Traffic Services – Nav Canada
- Aircraft Systems and Maintenance – AME
- Canadian Aviation Regulations – Transport Canada
Training sessions will be presented by Subject Matter Experts who may hold a Class 1 Flight Instructor Rating, be a Pilot Examiner, be a Chief Flight Instructor, or have expertise in the subject matter being presented. NavPath Aviation instructors have been professionals in the aviation industry for many, many years and have varied experience and expertise in many fields including the following:
- Pilots and flight instructors on aeroplanes and helicopters, chief pilots, chief flight instructors and pilot examiners
- Corporate pilots and airline pilots with experience on domestic and international operations
- Inspectors with Transport Canada and the Transportation Safety Board with experience as flight training specialists, human factors specialists and aircraft accident investigators.
Pilot’s Operating Handbook
Canada Flight Supplement
Flight Training Manual
Requirements for Renewal (see CARs 421.66(1))
(1) An application for renewal for a flight instructor rating based on your successful completion of a flight instructor refresher course will be accepted by Transport Canada where:
- A course completion certificate was issued within the preceding 90 days.
- The flight instructor rating was valid on the first day of the course, and
- The course is for the same category as the instructor rating held.
(2) A flight test is the only option if:
- The flight instructor rating has expired
- The previous two renewals were through a means other than a flight test; or
- The instructor is undergoing follow-up action with respect to their flight test record (421.67).
(3) Renewal will be based on the last day of the course. When the last day of the course is within 90 days prior to the valid to date of the existing rating, the renewed rating is valid to the same date as if the refresher course was completed during the month prior to the valid to date of the existing rating.
(This provision allows a flight instructor to renew a couple of months early and not lose any period of validity of their rating. It is OK to attend a course several months, or years, prior to the present validity date; then the rating will be renewed based on the last day of the course.)
(4) A flight instructor rating – aeroplane – aerobatic must be renewed by means of a flight test.
Navpath Aviation reserves the right to cancel any course. Applicants will be notified of any cancellation more than 14 days prior to the first day of the course.
- Where a course is cancelled by NavPath Aviation, all course fees paid will be refunded to the applicant.
- Where an applicant cancels more than 7 days prior to the first day of the course, all course fees paid will be refunded to the applicant.
- Where an applicant cancels within 7 days prior to the first day of the course, there will be a $50 cancellation fee and the remainder of the course fees paid will be refunded to the applicant.
or toll free at 1-855-NAVPATH.
We look forward to seeing you in class!
Course Manager: Bob Leroux
Class 1 Flight Instructor, Pilot Examiner and former Inspector with Transport Canada
… it’s an attitude!